Enjoy fall’s arrival
After a long summer, fall weather and changing leaves refresh our senses. Enjoy the season with 6 activities that are perfect to do with your older adult. They’re all simple, inexpensive, and fun!
6 festive fall activities for seniors
1. Create art with fall and Halloween themed coloring sheets
Coloring is an activity that everyone can enjoy, from the very young to the very old, in groups or alone. As an added bonus, psychologists say that coloring has stress-busting abilities similar to meditating.
We like these free, printable coloring sheets with fall and Halloween themes:
2. Decorate the house
Making and putting up fun decorations is a nice way to mark the change of seasons and get in the mood for fall holidays. It’s also a good time to display some of those finished coloring pages!
These DIY ideas are simple and fun:
3. Prepare festive (but easy!) homemade treats
Baking, mixing, and assembly are fun activities that many older adults will enjoy.
Mmmm! Try these delicious and easy-to-make treats:
- Soft glazed pumpkin sugar cookies
- No bake pumpkin cheesecake
- Baked apples with oatmeal streusel topping
4. Make Halloween trick or treat bags
Get ready for trick-or-treaters by having your older adult help prepare these fun little pumpkin pouch goody bags. They’ll be excited to hand them out when kids come to your door.
5. Work on a fall-themed jigsaw puzzle
Sitting at the table with a warm beverage and a festive puzzle is a great way to celebrate the season. Here are a few we really liked.
- Birds of a Feather 36-Piece Puzzle – a dozen beautiful birds and extra-large puzzle pieces designed for people with Alzheimer’s or dementia
- Sunset Retreat 100-Piece Puzzle – a lovely fall landscape complete with a cozy cottage
- Bombs Away 550-Piece Puzzle – a playful cat rolls pumpkins at his two dog friends
6. Admire the colorful autumn leaves
Fall is a wonderful time to take your senior to a nearby park, stroll through the neighborhood, or relax in the backyard. Breathe the fresh, crisp air, admire the leaves changing colors, and hear the crunch of fallen leaves as you walk.
Thank you to our friends at CareLinx for suggesting the free printable Halloween coloring pages!
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
Image: Ask Ideas
This article wasn’t sponsored, but does contain affiliate links. We never link to products for the sole purpose of making a commission. Product recommendations are based on our honest opinions. For more information, see How We Make Money.