Date published: 2022-5-18
Dads appreciate thoughtful, useful gifts
Dads, uncles, in-laws, and the important men in your life will be thrilled to be remembered on Father’s Day.
To help you find the perfect gift he’ll actually use and enjoy, we’ve rounded up dozens of thoughtful Father’s Day gift ideas.
This huge list of the best gifts for senior men covers 11 different categories and more than 50 specific gift ideas, including useful everyday comforts, fun activities, thoughtful keepsakes, senior-friendly technology, music of their youth, and simple aids that make life easier.
11 categories of fantastic Father’s Day gifts
1. Customized gift baskets
You know your older adult best, so why not create a custom gift basket filled with things they actually use and enjoy?
All you need is a handy basket and some great items to fill it with (this basket is sturdy, good looking, and easily reusable).
- A few novels or audiobooks by his favorite author or on a favorite topic
- A new deck of large-print playing cards
- History-themed gifts: books, movies or documentaries
- A few of his favorite music albums and some nice, relaxing tea to sip while listening
- A cozy throw blanket and a pair of comfy slippers
- A few favorite movies and popcorn or hot chocolate mix
- Cheese, fruit, crackers, and sparkling cider for a special afternoon snack
- His favorite lotions or soaps to make cleaning up an enjoyable experience
2. Gifts that promote relaxation
Gifts that help your older adult relax and unwind are sure to be a hit.
- A plush heated electric throw blanket
- A soothing weighted blanket or lap pad – especially helpful for those with dementia
- A comfy wheelchair blanket that attaches with velcro so it won’t slip off
3. Send a heartfelt card or letter
Sending a card or letter with a nice message is always a thoughtful way to show how much you care and that they’re in your thoughts.
4. Technology gifts that keep him connected
We all rely on technology more than ever to make our lives easier and better.
These simpler tech tools help your older adult stay connected with family and friends and keep them entertained:
- Amazon Echo Show 5 – Alexa voice assistant with 5.5” screen for video calls
- Amazon Echo Show 8 – Alexa voice assistant with 8″ HD screen and stereo sound for video calls
- ViewClix Smart Frame – smart digital picture frames with video calling
- GreatCall Lively Flip and Jitterbug Smart2 mobile phones (get 50% off until May 31st!) – easy-to-use mobile phones with special features designed for seniors
- RAZ Memory Cell Phone – mobile phone specially designed for people with Alzheimer’s or dementia
- GrandPad tablet – easy-to-use tablet device with special features designed for seniors
Pro tip: For an even more thoughtful gift, consider taking care of the video calling device setup ahead of time. We’ve got remote setup tips for Amazon Echo devices here.
5. Create a custom photo album, calendar, blanket, or puzzle
With a custom photo album, you can showcase special photos or events so your older adult can reminisce anytime.
Make a custom photo calendar to help your older adult keep track of days, months, and appointments while seeing smiling family faces.
A custom photo puzzle uses a family photo or picture with special meaning to create a fun puzzle your older adult can put together again and again.
- Shutterfly – from $33, variety of photo layouts and number of pieces
- Portrait Puzzles – from $35, comes in a variety of sizes and number of pieces
6. Beautiful jigsaw puzzles
These lovely images aren’t childish at all and the different number of puzzle pieces mean you’ll find one that’s perfect for their ability level.
- Fire Waggin’ – 35 pieces, adorable Dalmatian puppies in a red wagon
- Colorful Caps Springbok Alzheimer’s & Dementia Jigsaw Puzzle – 36 pieces, an assortment of colorful vintage bottle caps
- Wild Coast Relish Dementia Jigsaw Puzzle – 63 pieces, beautiful ocean coast scenery
- Great Outdoors Relish Dementia Jigsaw Puzzle – 100 pieces, vintage camper at a peaceful outdoor camping spot on the lake
- Down On the Farm – 100 pieces, a group of animals around the farm
- Pet Parade – 100 pieces, a group of animal friends
- Green Mountain Express Springbok’s Alzheimer’s & Dementia Jigsaw Puzzle – 100 pieces, a magnificent steam train
- Songbird Menagerie – 300 large piece puzzle, a variety of colorful songbirds
- Flight at Dusk – 300 large piece puzzle, colorful hot air balloons over a beautiful landscape
- The Country Bus – 300 pieces, a small town scene in the English countryside
- Santorini Sunset – 300 large piece puzzle, enjoy the scenery of this famous Greek island
7. Artistic coloring books
These beautiful coloring books have illustrations that are nice enough to frame. They’re not childish and provide hours of relaxing fun.
- The Birdwatcher’s Coloring Book – 30 detailed illustrations of a wide variety of U.S. and Canadian bird species and habitats
- Wild Animals – 47 wild animal species from around the globe
- Wonderful World of Horses – 30 illustrations portray the legendary grace and beauty of horses
- American Muscle Cars, 1960-1975 – 44 excellent drawings of these legendary, high-performance automobiles
- Airplanes of the Second World War – 46 authentic illustrations of various planes of World War II, accompanied by informative captions
- Luxury Cars – 30 precisely and accurately rendered illustrations of legendary luxury cars
And if they don’t already have colored pencils, consider adding one of these sets to your gift.
8. An easy-to-use CD player and their favorite music
An easy-to-use, simple CD player will let her play her favorite tunes anytime. This one even plays cassette tapes! If needed, make it easier to use by adding colored dots on essential buttons like play and stop.
- Hits of the 30’s & 40’s
- Judy Garland at Carnegie Hall: 40th Anniversary Edition
- Greatest Songs Of The 1940’s
- The Very Best of Nat King Cole
- Chart Toppers: Romantic Hits Of The 50’s
- Frank Sinatra: His Great Performances 1953 – 1960
- Pure 60’s: The #1 Hits
- The Beatles 1
- The Best of Simon & Garfunkel
- Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Cole Porter Songbook
- Miles Davis: Kind Of Blue
9. Helpful home aids
Increase independence with some helpful aids that make everyday tasks easier.
10. Auto aids that make driving easier
Simple auto aids make driving or riding in cars easier on stiff joints and arthritic hands.
11. Gift cards for favorite meals, products, or services
Treat them to a meal (even if you don’t live in the area) or make their life more convenient by giving them a gift card for a popular restaurant that offers delivery or to a store where they love to shop.
Recommended for you:
- 38 Great Gifts for Senior Men
- 50+ Best Gifts for Seniors: Things You’ve Never Thought Of
- 46 Amazing Gifts for Seniors with Alzheimer’s or Dementia
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
This article wasn’t sponsored, but does contain affiliate links. We never link to products or services for the sole purpose of making a commission. Recommendations are based on our honest opinions. For more information, see How We Make Money.