Date published: 2022-11-24
50 fantastic holiday gifts for seniors
If you’re looking for a wonderful gift that your older adult will use and enjoy, we’ve got you covered.
These gifts are thoughtful, helpful, entertaining, comforting, and can improve your older adult’s quality of life.
Browse 8 categories of thoughtful gift ideas for seniors
To make it easier to browse these gift ideas for seniors, click these links below to jump directly to one of the categories on this page or keep scrolling to browse the full list.
- 11 technology gifts keep seniors connected, safe, and entertained
- 5 keepsake gifts celebrate special memories
- 7 gifts that entertain and engage
- 2 wonderful experiences
- 4 gifts that reduce anxiety and promote calm and relaxation
- 3 senior-friendly clothing and footwear gifts
- 9 gifts that make daily life easier, healthier, and more comfortable
- 9 mobility and transportation gifts
11 technology gifts keep seniors connected, safe, and entertained
We now rely on technology more than ever to stay connected.
These 11 tech gifts help us stay connected and also help keep seniors safer when we aren’t able to be there in person.
1) ViewClix Smart Frame, from $219
These smart picture frames display digital photos in a 10.1-inch screen size ($219) or 15.6-inch screen size ($299).
Both sizes have video calling with an auto-answer mode. When auto-answer is set up, the older adult doesn’t need to do anything to receive a video call.
This is especially helpful for making video calls to someone with dementia or who isn’t able to physically answer a call.
Plus, the frame is remotely managed by family, which makes them hassle-free for the older adult.
Tip: When choosing a screen size, think about your family member’s vision: is it poor or starting to decline? If so, go with the largest screen size that your budget allows.
We discuss the ViewClix Smart Frame in greater detail here.
2) Amazon Echo Show “Alexa” voice assistant with video calling
The Amazon Echo Show is an Alexa personal voice assistant with a video screen. It’s similar to the Echo or Echo Dot, with the addition of a video screen and better speakers.
To make video calls without your older adult needing to take action to accept the call, use the Echo’s “drop in” feature.
There are three types of these devices at different price points based on screen size, camera quality, and release date:
- $35 Echo Show 5 (2nd Gen, 2021 release) – 5.5 inch smart display with Alexa and 2 MP camera makes video calling easy and is great for watching videos or TV shows too
- $70 Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen, 2021 release) – 8 inch HD smart display with Alexa and 13 MP camera makes video calls and watching videos/TV even more enjoyable
- $170 Echo Show 15 – 15.6″ full HD (1080p) smart display and 5 MP camera with Alexa lets you make video calls, stream music and books, and watch videos, movies, and TV shows
3) $50 Amazon Echo (4th Gen) “Alexa” voice assistant with voice calling
This hands-free, voice-controlled device has a spherical design with rich sound, smart home hub, and Alexa.
It makes voice calls, plays music, gives weather reports, reads the news, answers questions, tells jokes, reads audiobooks, checks sports scores, and more.
4) $25 Amazon Echo Dot (5th Gen, 2022 release) “Alexa” voice assistant with voice calling
The Echo Dot has vibrant sound and the Alexa voice assistant in a compact smart speaker.
5) Lively Easy-To-Use Mobile Phones
These easy-to-use mobile phones are designed especially with seniors in mind.
The phones have large screens, big buttons, loud speakers and have additional health and safety features like app link for families, 5Star Urgent Response, Urgent Care doctors and nurses, live Personal Operators, and connection to Lyft.
- Lively Jitterbug Flip2, $49.99 (now 50% off) + monthly phone service – flip-style phone with big, bright buttons, powerful speaker, simple menus, Amazon Alexa, and more.
- Lively Jitterbug Smart3, $74.99 (now 50% off) + monthly phone service – the simple smartphone with large screen, voice typing, powerful speaker, simple menus, mobile internet, camera, and more.
6) Lively Mobile+ Medical Alert Device, $24.99 (now 50% off) + monthly service
This mobile all-in-one medical alert device has an 80-hour battery and doesn’t need additional equipment or a base station.
Plus, it has fast call response time, reliable coverage, and enhanced GPS for precise location.
Seniors can go anywhere and just press the button to reach a certified Urgent Response Agent anytime – not just while they’re inside the house.
Plus, built-in fall detection sensors means the device can automatically call for help if your older adult falls and isn’t able to press the button.
7) RAZ Memory Cell Phone, $309 + monthly service
This dementia-friendly mobile phone is a cell phone that someone with cognitive impairment can actually use.
It has a single screen that never turns off, calling by picture, and emergency services.
Plus, Remote Manage provides families with the unprecedented ability to remotely manage ALL aspects of the mobile phone through a simple app or online portal.
It also has an optional alternative service that answers emergency calls if someone with dementia frequently makes unwanted 911 calls.
8) GrandPad Simple and Safe Tablet, from $65/month
This simple, secure tablet is perfect for seniors who want to video call with family and friends, safely browse the internet, view photos, listen to music, and more.
The tablet, cellular data, software, and 24/7 customer care are all included in the monthly fee.
Top features include:
- Accessible apps for calls, emails, photos, music, news, and games
- No spam, robocalls, scams, or other unwanted email messages
- Easy to use with simple navigation, colorful buttons, and large fonts
- Live support 24/7 to answer questions
9) Claris Companion tablet, from $299 + $29/month
With this simplified tablet, seniors can enjoy one-touch video chat, see photos, browse the internet, use email, play games, check weather, and more.
Their average user age is 86, so you know this is a senior-friendly product! Plus, the Claris Companion works right out of the box – no setup required.
If you already have an Android tablet that your older adult is able to use, you can just buy the Claris Companion app for $29/month to get all the features.
10) Celery 2-way computerless email system, from $14/month
This low-tech system lets seniors send and receive email without having to own or use a computer. They don’t even need internet access!
Celery is a simple system that allows non-computer users to connect with family and friends through email.
The Celery device and service automatically prints their incoming emails on paper and instantly sends their outgoing pen-and-paper messages as email to others.
11) Telikin Computer, from $999
Telikin is a simple and easy to use family computer that combines video chat, photo sharing, email, and many more popular features into a sleek touchscreen device.
These computers are designed to have the easiest and most intuitive user experience possible. They’re simplified, but have all the benefits of a full computer.
5 keepsake gifts celebrate special memories
1) Custom photo album
Showcase special photos or events so your older adult can reminisce anytime.
For someone with Alzheimer’s or dementia, create a custom book they’ll love to read by adding simple text to photos or images they enjoy.
2) Custom photo calendar
Help your older adult keep track of days, months, and appointments while seeing smiling family faces.
3) Custom photo blanket
Keep your older adult warm and cozy with familiar faces all around. These photo blankets are especially nice for someone with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
4) Custom photo puzzle
Use family photos or pictures of places with special meaning to create a fun puzzle your older adult can put together again and again.
- Walmart – from $12, from 110 pieces and up
- Shutterfly – from $33, variety of photo layouts (check for holiday deals!)
- Portrait Puzzles – from $35, comes in a variety of sizes & number of pieces
5) Digital photo frames
A digital photo frame is a wonderful way for older adults to easily view family photos. Some even allow you to add photos via email or through a mobile app.
- $47 Aluratek 8″ LCD Digital Picture Frame with 4GB Built-In Memory, Built-In Clock, & Calendar – 800 x 600 resolution, also supports SD/SDHC card (up to 32 GB) or USB flash drive
- $57 Atatat 10 Inch Digital Photo Frame with 1920×1080 IPS Screen – has music and video playback, supports USB flash drive and up to 128GB SD card, and comes with a clock and calendar (no WiFi)
- $80 BSIMB 32GB 10.1 Inch WiFi Smart Digital Photo Frame with 1280×800 IPS Touch Screen – send photos for instant display via app, email, social media
- $159 Aura Carver Luxe 10.1 Inch HD Smart Digital Picture Frame with WiFi and Free Unlimited Storage – 1920 x 1200 Full HD display, unlimited cloud storage holds 10,000+ photos, safely add photos from anywhere through the secure mobile app
- $150 Nixplay 10.1 inch Touch Screen Digital Picture Frame with WiFi – 1280 x 800 HD touch screen display, create a secure photo-sharing network for your family to share photos and short videos from their smartphone or by email
7 gifts that entertain and engage
1) Favorite songs and albums
Add to a music lover’s song collection or bring old favorites back into your older adult’s life.
- Get our top music picks for every age group from 65 to 90+
2) Portable cassette/CD music player boombox
A simple portable boombox is a great way for your older adult’s to enjoy music or news. These play cassette tapes and have AM/FM radio too.
- $49 NAXA Electronics NPB-268 Portable CD/Cassette Boombox
- $69 Sony CFDS70-BLK CD/MP3 Cassette Boombox
- $90 Sony Stereo Boombox with CD and Cassette Player Bluetooth Bundle – set includes classic stereo boombox with CD/cassette/radio plus a NeeGo wireless bluetooth receiver to stream music from any device
Pro tip: To simplify the controls, put colored stickers on important buttons like Play and Stop
3) Beautiful coloring books, from $4
These coloring books have beautiful, frame-worthy images and provide hours of relaxing fun.
4) Jigsaw puzzles
- Puzzles are a fun activity and a great way to exercise the brain
- Get options for older adults of all activity levels, even for those with cognitive or vision challenges
6) Regal Games Deluxe Bingo Game Set, $25
This tabletop bingo game set is perfect for multiple players and can also be played solo.
The set includes a rotary bingo cage, bingo board, bingo balls, 50 large-print bingo cards, and bingo chips.
7) Coogam Wooden Hexagon Puzzle, $11
This colorful puzzle appeals to people of all ages and cognitive abilities. Complete the 60 included brain teaser challenges or simply make your own patterns.
2 wonderful experiences
Many older adults enjoy experiences more than material things. Consider giving a gift certificate for something they’ll enjoy or taking them out for a meal or activity.
Note: Due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, these might not be the safest gifts to give this year, but are great ideas for the future.
1. Gift certificate for a favorite restaurant
They can enjoy a wonderful meal from you, or if you’re in the area, set a date where you’ll go out for a special meal together.
2. Gift certificate for personal services like hair styling, manicure, pedicure, or massage
- If you’re in the area, set a date where you’ll accompany them to their appointment
- Some spas even offer special geriatric massage!
4 gifts that reduce anxiety and promote calm and relaxation
1) Weighted blankets
Weighted blankets have been scientifically proven to relieve distress and anxiety.
They’re especially helpful for people with dementia and also great for anyone who has trouble sleeping, feels anxious, or would just enjoy feeling more relaxed (you might want one for yourself too).
- $27 ZZZhen Weighted Blanket – 15 lbs, 48 x 72 inches
- $40 Hypnoser Adult Weighted Blanket – 20 lbs, 60 x 80 inches
- $32 YnM Weighted Blanket – 15 lbs, 48 x 72 inches
- $36 Weighted Idea Cooling Weighted Blanket – 15 lbs, 48 x 78 inches
- $66 Sivio Weighted Blanket – 15 lbs, 48 x 72 inches
- $75 Hug Bud Weighted Blanket – 12 lbs, 60 x 80 inches
- From $30 RELAX EDEN Weighted Blanket W/Removable, Washable Duvet Cover – blankets from 5 to 20 pounds
Note: If you’re feeling crafty, we’ve also got DIY weighted blanket instructions here.
2) $55 Sunbeam Royal Ultra Heated Blanket
This heated blanket has 12 heat settings to keep seniors toasty warm and eases aches and pains. Plus, it has a 12-hour selectable auto shut-off function for peace of mind.
3) $35 Granny Jo Products Heavyweight Wheelchair Blanket
This cozy blanket has a top layer of ultra-soft mink fleece and a bottom layer of soft plush fleece.
It keeps wheelchair users warm and cozy and won’t slip off because it conveniently attaches to the wheelchair.
4) $80 Nekteck Shiatsu Foot Massager Machine with Soothing Heat, Deep Kneading Therapy, Air Compression
This foot massager combines heat, compression, and kneading massage action to bring relief to tired, aching feet.
3 senior-friendly clothing and footwear gifts
- Browse the stylish adaptive clothes from Silvert’s and Buck & Buck. Or, learn more about specialized clothing here.
- Adaptive shoes and slippers from Silvert’s or Buck & Buck are great for people with gout, diabetes, edema, and other special foot care needs. Or, learn more about adaptive shoes here.
2) House Slippers for Women and Men
These slippers have safe non-skid soles and are adjustable, breathable, and comfortable for wearing around the house.
- From $20 Git-up Women Wide Memory Foam Diabetic Slippers with Adjustable Closure & Open Toe
- From $26 Git-up Women Wide Soft Memory Foam Slippers, Closed Toed
- From $19 LongBay Women’s Furry Memory Foam Adjustable Closure Closed Toed Slippers
- From $20 LongBay Men’s Memory Foam Adjustable Closure Closed Toed Slippers – Comfy Warm Plush Fleece (heathered colors)
- From $20 LongBay Men’s Memory Foam Adjustable Closure Closed Toed Slippers – Comfy Warm Plush Fleece (solid colors)
3) Compression Socks
Compression socks improve circulation and reduce swelling from health conditions like congestive heart failure. Many new brands offer stylish and fun patterns.
- From $15 Zipper Compression Socks with Open Toe – this unique design has a zipper along the side that makes the socks easier to get on and off
- From $30 Sockwell Compression Socks – compression socks with beautiful designs and different levels of compression
- Or, browse a wider variety of different designs and levels of compression – click here
9 gifts that make daily life easier, healthier, and more comfortable
1) $10 AMIR motion-activated stick anywhere LED lights (3 pack)
These are great for automatically lighting dark corners, closets, or cabinets. They reduce fall risk by illuminating places where you aren’t able to add a lamp.
2) $16 NOVA cup holder for rollator or wheelchair
Help your older adult stay hydrated by making it easy to keep their cup or water bottle within reach.
3) $18 Vive walker caddy / tote bag
A stylish and convenient way to carry essentials while using a walker, available in 3 colors/patterns.
4) $20 Electric Jar Opener
Open any jar without needing a strong grip, no matter how large it is.
5) $38 Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener
There’s no need to struggle with a manual can opener any longer. This automatic one doesn’t require any finger or hand strength.
6) $40 Oral-B Pro 1000 CrossAction Electric Toothbrush
Make brushing easier to improve dental health, eliminates strain on hands, wrists, and arms.
8) $80 (on sale!) Philips SmartSleep Wake-up Light (HF3520/60)
Help older adults wake up more naturally with an alarm clock that simulates the sunrise. This innovative alarm clock is especially useful on dark winter mornings. This model has 20 brightness settings, colored sunrise and sunset simulation, 5 natural wake-up sounds, FM radio, reading lamp, and tap to snooze.
This $80 Philips Wake-up Light (HF3505/60) is another great option. This model has 10 brightness levels and simulated sunrise.
This $40 Wake Up Light Sunrise Alarm Clock is a great, less expensive option.
9) $80 Philips Norelco Shaver 3800
Get a comfortable, safe, and clean shave anywhere with a high-quality cordless rechargeable wet/dry electric shaver.
9 mobility and transportation gifts
1) $10 Drive Medical Walker Ski Glides
This great stocking stuffer makes it easier to use a walker, no more catching back legs on carpet.
2) $25 Stander HandyBar Portable Vehicle Support Grab Bar
This simple tool helps seniors get into and out of the car with ease.
3) $27 Hugo Mobility Quadpod Offset Cane
This cane increases stability and reduces fall risk.
4) $67 Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator Walker with Fold Up Removable Back Support
This rollator walker is easy to maneuver, lightweight, and has a handy seat and backrest for rest breaks.
5) $254 Drive Medical Nitro Euro-Style 4-Wheel Rollator Walker With Seat
Review from a family caregiver: “This rollator is really nicely made. I’d compare its frame to a decent road bicycle frame in terms of stiffness, welds, finish, etc. It really looks sharp, too. A far cry from the bare aluminum ones that are wobbly and cheap looking, and also a step above the intermediate ones with painted frames but still are kind of spindly. Gary got a TON of compliments on it.”
6) $170 Stander Security Pole and Curve Grab Bar “No-install” Tension Pole
This sturdy tension pole and grab bar can be installed anywhere to give extra help when getting up from the couch, recliner, or toilet.
8) GoGoGrandparent gift card
This is an on-demand ride service that’s perfect for seniors who don’t use smartphones. No mobile apps are needed and a live person is always available to help.
9) $679 Carbon Ultralight Rolling Walker
This innovative, super-light rolling walker (the world’s lightest!) is an investment, but it’s a fantastic, stylish design that anyone would be proud to use. Read a caregiver’s review here.
Recommended for you:
- 33 Wonderful Gifts for Senior Women
- 38 Great Gifts for Senior Men
- 46 Amazing Gifts for Seniors with Alzheimer’s or Dementia
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
All prices quoted were checked shortly before publication. Prices and availability change often and might not match what is found online. This article wasn’t sponsored, but does contain affiliate links. If you buy through an affiliate link on our site, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, and we appreciate your support. We never link to products for the sole purpose of making a commission. Product recommendations are based on our honest opinions. For more information, see How We Make Money.