By Connie Chow, Founder at DailyCaring
Date published: 2023-11-27
50+ fantastic holiday gifts for seniors
If you’re looking for a wonderful gift that your older adult will use and enjoy, we’ve got you covered.
These gifts are thoughtful, helpful, entertaining, comforting, and can improve your older adult’s quality of life.
Browse 8 categories of thoughtful gift ideas for seniors
To make it easier to browse these gift ideas for seniors, click these links below to jump directly to one of the categories on this page or keep scrolling to browse the full list.
- 10 technology gifts keep seniors connected, safe, and entertained
- 5 keepsake gifts celebrate special memories
- 7 gifts that entertain and engage
- 2 wonderful experiences
- 5 gifts that reduce anxiety and promote calm and relaxation
- 4 senior-friendly clothing and footwear gifts
- 9 gifts that make daily life easier, healthier, and more comfortable
- 10 mobility and transportation gifts
10 technology gifts keep seniors connected, safe, and entertained
We now rely on technology more than ever to stay connected.
These 10 tech gifts help us stay connected and also help keep seniors safer when we aren’t able to be there in person.
1) ViewClix Smart Frame, from $149
These smart picture frames display digital photos in a 10.1-inch screen size ($149, sale price) or 15.6-inch screen size ($219, sale price).
The frame displays photos beautifully and is hassle-free for older adults to use because the management and settings can be accessed remotely by a family member or trusted friend.
The “smart” feature we love most is video calling for up to 4 people with an auto-answer mode. When auto-answer is enabled, the older adult doesn’t need to do anything to receive the video call.
This is especially helpful for making video calls to someone with dementia or someone who isn’t able to physically answer a call.
A $9.95/month Premium subscription is needed to access most features, including video calling.
We discuss the ViewClix Smart Frame in greater detail here.
2) Amazon Echo Show “Alexa” voice assistant with video calling
The Amazon Echo Show is an Alexa personal voice assistant with a video screen. It’s similar to the Echo or Echo Dot, with the addition of a video screen and better speakers.
To make video calls without your older adult needing to take action to accept the call, use the Echo’s “drop in” feature.
There are 4 sizes of these devices at various price points based on release date, screen size, and other features:
- $40 Echo Show 5 (3rd Gen, 2023 release) – 5.5 inch smart display with Alexa and 2 MP camera
- $60 Echo Show 8 (2nd Gen, 2021 release) – 8 inch HD smart display with Alexa and 13 MP camera
- $105 Echo Show 8 (3rd Gen, 2023 release) – 8 inch HD smart display, Alexa, high-quality spatial audio, 13 MP camera, and built-in smart home hub.
- $160 Echo Show 10 (3rd Gen) – 10.1″ HD smart display with premium sound, 13 MP camera, motion, and Alexa
- $280 Echo Show 15 – 15.6″ full HD (1080p) smart display and 5 MP camera with Alexa and Fire TV lets you make video calls, stream music and books, and watch videos, movies, and TV shows
Tip: When choosing a screen size, think about your family member’s vision: is it poor or starting to decline? If so, go with the largest screen size that your budget allows.
3) $55 Amazon Echo (4th Gen) “Alexa” voice assistant with voice calling
This hands-free, voice-controlled device has a spherical design with rich sound, smart home hub, and Alexa.
It makes voice calls, plays music, gives weather reports, reads the news, answers questions, tells jokes, reads audiobooks, checks sports scores, and more.
4) $23 Amazon Echo Dot (5th Gen, 2022 release) “Alexa” voice assistant with voice calling
The Echo Dot has vibrant sound and the Alexa voice assistant in a compact smart speaker.
5) Lively Easy-To-Use Mobile Phones
These easy-to-use mobile phones are designed especially with older adults in mind.
The phones have large screens, big buttons, loud speakers and have additional health and safety features like app link for families, 5Star Urgent Response, Urgent Care doctors and nurses, live Personal Operators, and connection to Lyft.
- Lively Jitterbug Flip2, $49.99 (now 50% off) + monthly phone service – flip-style phone with big, bright buttons, powerful speaker, simple menus, Amazon Alexa, and more.
- Lively Jitterbug Smart4, $149.99 + monthly phone service – the simple smartphone with large screen, voice typing, powerful speaker, simple menus, mobile internet, camera, and more.
6) Lively Mobile+ Medical Alert Device, $24.99 (now 50% off) + monthly service
This mobile all-in-one medical alert device is waterproof, has an 80-hour battery, and doesn’t require additional equipment or a base station.
Plus, it has fast call response time, reliable coverage, and enhanced GPS for precise location.
Seniors can go anywhere and just press the button to reach a certified Urgent Response Agent anytime – not just while they’re inside the house.
Plus, built-in fall detection sensors means the device can automatically call for help if your older adult falls and isn’t able to press the button.
7) RAZ Memory Cell Phone, $309 + monthly service
This dementia-friendly mobile phone is a cell phone that someone with cognitive impairment can actually use.
It has a single screen that never turns off, calling by picture, and emergency services.
Plus, Remote Manage provides families with the unprecedented ability to remotely manage ALL aspects of the mobile phone through a simple app or online portal.
It also has an optional alternative service that answers emergency calls if someone with dementia frequently makes unwanted 911 calls.
8) GrandPad Simple and Safe Tablet, from $65/month
This simple, secure tablet is perfect for older adults who want to video call with family and friends, safely browse the internet, view photos, listen to music, and more.
The simple navigation, large buttons, large text, and “no frills” design makes it easy for seniors without technology experience to start using the tablet immediately.
The GrandPad tablet, stylus, charger, 4G LTE cellular data plan, Companion App, and 24/7 customer care are all included in the monthly fee.
Or you can also buy GrandPad on Amazon.
Top features include:
- 911 emergency calling to connect in times of need and provide peace of mind
- GrandPad Companion App connects the Private Family Network
- Accessible apps for calls, emails, photos, music, news, and games
- No spam, robocalls, scams, or other unwanted email messages
- Live customer support 24/7, 365 days a year
9) Claris Companion tablet, from $299 + $29/month
The Claris Companion tablet is designed specifically for older adults with large text, large buttons, voice notifications, no settings (on tablet), and is always on.
The typical Claris Companion user is 80 years old with no computer experience, so you know this is a senior-friendly product.
Older adults can enjoy one-touch video chat, see photos, browse the internet, use email, play games, check weather, and more.
The tablet is managed remotely by family, so older adults never need to worry about any settings or setup. And the alerts and activity dashboard makes sure that family knows their loved one is safe.
Friendly, US-based customer support is available via telephone, chat, and email.
And if you already have an Android tablet that your older adult is able to use, you can just buy the Claris Companion app for $29/month to get all the features.
10) Telikin Computer, from $999
Telikin is a simple and easy to use family computer that combines video chat, photo sharing, email, and many more popular features into a touchscreen device.
These stress-free computers are designed to have the easiest and most intuitive user experience possible. They’re simplified and resist viruses, but have all the benefits of a full computer.
It comes with software fully installed and ready to go out of the box, just connect it to the Internet.
Plus, it comes with built-in video help and their excellent technical support team is available for further help.
3 models are available:
- $1,299 Telikin Elite Silver 22in Touchscreen Computer with 32 GB SSD – features Text to Speech so it can read emails aloud
- $999 Telikin Breeze 18in Touchscreen Computer
- $999 Telikin Freedom 15in Touchscreen Laptop
5 keepsake gifts celebrate special memories
1) Custom photo album
Showcase special photos or events so your older adult can reminisce anytime.
For someone with Alzheimer’s or dementia, create a custom book they’ll love to read by adding simple text to photos or images they enjoy.
2) Custom photo calendar
Help your older adult keep track of days, months, and appointments while seeing smiling family faces.
3) Custom photo blanket
Keep your older adult warm and cozy with familiar faces all around. These photo blankets are especially nice for someone with Alzheimer’s or dementia.
4) Custom photo puzzle
Use family photos or pictures of places with special meaning to create a fun puzzle your older adult can put together again and again.
- Walmart – from $9, from 30 pieces and up, variety of photo layouts
- Shutterfly – from $24, from 60 pieces and up, variety of photo layouts (check for holiday deals!)
- Portrait Puzzles – from $30, variety of sizes & number of pieces
5) Digital photo frames
A digital photo frame is a wonderful way for older adults to easily view family photos. Many allow trusted family and friends to add photos via email or through a mobile app.
- $58 Aluratek 8 Inch Slim Digital Photo Frame – 1024 x 768 resolution, automatic slideshow, USB/SD/SDHC supported up to 32GB, built-in clock & calendar
- $87 Atatat 10 Inch Digital Photo Frame – 1920 x 1080 IPS screen, has music and video playback, supports USB flash drive and up to 128GB SD card, and comes with a clock and calendar (no WiFi)
- $68 AEEZO 10.1 Inch WiFi Digital Picture Frame – 1280 x 800 IPS touch screen, 16GB storage, easy setup to share photos or videos via Frameo app
- $80 BSIMB 32GB 10.1 Inch WiFi Smart Digital Photo Frame – 1280 x 800 IPS touch screen, send photos for instant display via app, email, social media
- $149 Aura Carver 10.1 Inch HD Smart Digital Picture Frame with WiFi and Free Unlimited Storage – 1280 x 800 HD display, free unlimited cloud storage holds all your photos, safely add photos from anywhere through the secure mobile app
- $199 Nixplay 10.1” Digital Photo Frame – HD IPS display, create a secure photo-sharing network for your family to share photos and short videos from their smartphone or by email
7 gifts that entertain and engage
1) Favorite songs and albums
Add to a music lover’s song collection or bring old favorites back into your older adult’s life.
- Get our top music picks for every age group from people in their 60s to past their 90s
2) Portable cassette/CD music player boombox
A simple portable boombox is a great way for your older adult to enjoy music or news. These play CDs, cassette tapes, and have AM/FM radio too.
- $40 Craig CD6951 Portable Top-Loading CD Boombox – CD and cassette player/recorder, AM/FM stereo radio
- $65 Retekess TR621 CD and Cassette Player Combo – CD and cassette player/recorder, AM/FM radio, remote control, supports micro SD card and USB flash drive
- $150 Sony CFDS70-BLK CD/MP3 Cassette Boombox – compact CD/cassette player with AM/FM radio, sleep-timer, and 3 station preset capability
Pro tip: To simplify the controls, put colored stickers on important buttons like Play and Stop
3) Beautiful coloring books, from $4
These coloring books have beautiful, frame-worthy images and provide hours of relaxing fun.
4) Jigsaw puzzles
- Puzzles are a fun activity and a great way to exercise the brain
- Get options for older adults of all activity levels, even for those with cognitive or vision challenges
6) Regal Games Deluxe Bingo Game Set, $23
This tabletop bingo game set is perfect for multiple players and can also be played solo.
The set includes a rotary bingo cage, bingo board, bingo balls, 50 large-print bingo cards, and bingo chips.
7) Coogam Wooden Hexagon Puzzle, $10
This colorful puzzle appeals to people of all ages and cognitive abilities. Complete the 60 included brain teaser challenges or simply make your own patterns.
2 wonderful experiences
Many older adults enjoy experiences more than material things. Consider giving a gift certificate for something they’ll enjoy or taking them out for a meal or activity.
1. Gift certificate for a favorite restaurant
They can enjoy a wonderful meal from you, or if you’re in the area, set a date where you’ll go out for a special meal together.
2. Gift certificate for personal services like hair styling, manicure, pedicure, or massage
- If you’re in the area, set a date where you’ll accompany them to their appointment
- Some spas even offer special geriatric massage!
5 gifts that reduce anxiety and promote calm and relaxation
1) Weighted blankets
Weighted blankets have been scientifically proven to relieve distress and anxiety.
They’re especially helpful for people with dementia and also great for anyone who has trouble sleeping, feels anxious, or would just enjoy feeling more relaxed (you might want one for yourself too).
- $27 Hug Bud Weighted Blanket – 5 lbs, 36 x 48 inches
- $43 Hug Bud Weighted Blanket – 12 lbs, 60 x 80 inches
- $26 ZZZhen Weighted Blanket – 15 lbs, 48 x 72 inches
- $30 YnM Weighted Blanket – 15 lbs, 48 x 72 inches
- $40 Weighted Idea Cooling Weighted Blanket – 15 lbs, 48 x 78 inches
- $40 Hypnoser Adult Weighted Blanket – 20 lbs, 60 x 80 inches
Note: If you’re feeling crafty, we’ve also got DIY weighted blanket instructions here.
2) $40 Sunbeam Royal Ultra Heated Blanket
This heated blanket has 12 heat settings to keep seniors toasty warm and eases aches and pains. Plus, it has a 12-hour selectable auto shut-off function for peace of mind.
3) $35 Granny Jo Products Heavyweight Wheelchair Blanket
This cozy blanket has a top layer of ultra-soft mink fleece and a bottom layer of soft plush fleece.
It keeps wheelchair users warm and cozy and won’t slip off because it conveniently attaches to the wheelchair.
4) $80 Nekteck Shiatsu Foot Massager Machine with Soothing Heat, Deep Kneading Therapy, Air Compression
This foot massager combines heat, compression, and kneading massage action to bring relief to tired, aching feet.
Note: Check with a doctor to make sure this is safe for your older adult to use.
5) $115 Nekteck Shiatsu Foot and Calf Massager with Heat, Remote Control, Deep Kneading, Vibration
This massager has a versatile open design that can massage either the feet or calves.
It combines heat, compression, and kneading massage action to bring relief to tired, aching legs and feet.
4 senior-friendly clothing and footwear gifts
- Browse the stylish adaptive clothes from Silvert’s and Buck & Buck. Or, learn more about specialized clothing here.
- Adaptive shoes and slippers from Silvert’s or Buck & Buck are great for people with gout, diabetes, edema, and other special foot care needs. Or, learn more about adaptive shoes here.
2) House slippers for women and men
These slippers have safe non-skid soles and are adjustable, breathable, and comfortable for wearing around the house.
- $26 Git-up Women Wide Memory Foam Diabetic Slippers with Adjustable Closure & Open Toe
- From $24 Git-up Women Wide Soft Memory Foam Slippers, Closed Toed
- From $25 LongBay Women’s Furry Memory Foam Adjustable Closure Closed Toed Slippers
- From $27 LongBay Men’s Memory Foam Adjustable Closure Closed Toed Slippers – Comfy Warm Plush Fleece
- From $30 LongBay Men’s Memory Foam Adjustable Closure Closed Toed Slippers – Comfy Warm Plush Fleece (additional colors)
3) Stylish non-slip socks with grip
Some older adults might enjoy wearing socks around the house instead of bare feet or slippers.
To reduce the risk of slips or falls, gift them some comfy, stylish socks with non-slip grip bottoms.
4) Compression Socks
Compression socks improve circulation and reduce swelling from health conditions like congestive heart failure. Many new brands offer stylish and fun patterns.
- $16 bropite Zipper Compression Socks – this unique design has a zipper along the side that makes the socks easier to get on and off
- From $30 Sockwell Compression Socks – compression socks with beautiful designs and different levels of compression
- Or, browse a wider variety of different designs and levels of compression – click here
9 gifts that make daily life easier, healthier, and more comfortable
1) $18 AMIR Newest Mini Motion Sensor Light Battery-Powered LED (6 pack, warm white)
These mini stick-on lights reduce fall risk by illuminating places where you aren’t able to add a lamp.
They’re great for automatically lighting stairways, bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, dark hallways, closets, cabinets, or dark corners.
2) $17 NOVA cup holder for rollator or wheelchair
Help your older adult stay hydrated by making it easy to keep their cup or water bottle within reach.
3) $19 Vive walker caddy / tote bag
A stylish and convenient way to carry essentials while using a walker, available in many colors/patterns.
4) $24 Electric Jar Opener
Open any jar without needing a strong grip, no matter how large it is.
5) $33 Hamilton Beach Smooth Touch Can Opener
There’s no need to struggle with a manual can opener any longer. This automatic one doesn’t require any finger or hand strength.
6) $40 Oral-B Pro 1000 CrossAction Electric Toothbrush
Make brushing easier to improve dental health, eliminates strain on hands, wrists, and arms.
8) $99 Philips SmartSleep Wake-up Light (HF3520/60)
Help older adults wake up more naturally with an alarm clock that simulates the sunrise. This innovative alarm clock is especially useful on dark winter mornings. This model has 20 brightness settings, colored sunrise and sunset simulation, 5 natural wake-up sounds, FM radio, reading lamp, and tap to snooze.
The $91 Philips Wake-up Light (HF3505/60) is another great option. This model has 10 brightness levels and simulated sunrise.
This $39 Wake Up Light Sunrise Alarm Clock is a highly-rated, less expensive option.
9) Electric Shaver
Get a comfortable, safe, and clean shave anywhere with a high-quality cordless rechargeable wet/dry electric shaver.
- $35 Philips Norelco Shaver 2300 – rechargeable electric shaver with pop up trimmer
- $60 Braun Electric Series 3 Razor – rechargeable wet & dry foil shaver comes with precision trimmer
- $80 Philips Norelco Shaver 3800 – rechargeable wet & dry shaver with pop-up trimmer, charging stand, storage pouch
10 mobility and transportation gifts
1) $6 Drive Medical Walker Ski Glides
This great stocking stuffer makes it easier to use a walker, no more catching back legs on carpet.
2) $25 Stander HandyBar Portable Vehicle Support Grab Bar
This simple tool helps older adults get into and out of the car with ease.
3) $29 Hugo Mobility Quadpod Offset Cane
This cane increases stability and reduces fall risk.
4) $68 Drive Medical Four Wheel Rollator Walker with Fold Up Removable Back Support
This rollator walker comes in two colors and is lightweight and easy to maneuver . It also has a handy seat and backrest for rest breaks.
5) $219 Drive Medical Nitro Euro-Style 4-Wheel Rollator Walker With Seat
Review from a family caregiver: “This rollator is really nicely made. I’d compare its frame to a decent road bicycle frame in terms of stiffness, welds, finish, etc. It really looks sharp, too. A far cry from the bare aluminum ones that are wobbly and cheap looking, and also a step above the intermediate ones with painted frames but still are kind of spindly. Gary got a TON of compliments on it.”
6) $179 Stander Security Pole and Curve Grab Bar “No-install” Tension Pole
This sturdy tension pole and grab bar can be installed anywhere to give extra help when getting up from the couch, recliner, or toilet.
8) GoGoGrandparent gift card
This is an on-demand ride and delivery service that’s perfect for older adults who don’t use smartphones. No mobile apps are needed and a live person is always available to help.
- Make calls and talk directly from the cane without having a mobile phone
- GPS location means finding your older adult quickly during an emergency – they just press a button to get help. Plus, if the cane gets lost, the GPS locates it.
- Easy to read clock
- A bright flashlight
- Comfortable hand grips, adjustable height, and durable construction
- Activity tracking and goal setting
- Health reports
10) $679 Carbon Ultralight Rolling Walker
This innovative, super-light rolling walker is an investment, but it’s a stylish, easy-to-use design that anyone would be proud to use.
Read a caregiver’s review here or reviews on Amazon here. The price is lower on Amazon, but you’ll most likely get better customer support (in case there’s a problem) if you buy directly from byACRE’s website.
Recommended for you:
- 33 Wonderful Gifts for Senior Women
- 38 Great Gifts for Senior Men
- 46 Amazing Gifts for Seniors with Alzheimer’s or Dementia
Image: Carroll County Comet
All prices quoted were checked shortly before publication. Prices and availability change often and might not match what is found online. This article wasn’t sponsored, but does contain affiliate links. If you buy through an affiliate link on our site, we may earn a small commission, at no additional cost to you, and we appreciate your support. We never link to products for the sole purpose of making a commission. Product recommendations are based on our honest opinions. For more information, see How We Make Money.