Limited mobility can lead to skin problems
Some older adults become frail or ill to the point where they can’t move their bodies enough. When that happens, the skin touching their bed or chair can get irritated from constant pressure.
Within days, irritated areas can develop into pressure sores (aka bedsores) because senior skin is thin and sensitive. The sores are painful and can turn into serious or life-threatening infections. Yikes!
Shift position to prevent sores
The best way to prevent pressure sores from developing is to make sure your older adult doesn’t stay in one position too long. Whether sitting or lying down, make sure they change position every 1 – 2 hours — even at night!
Good ways to change position include shifting their weight, putting a pillow first under one side and then the other, or helping them to get up and move a little.
Special cushions and mattresses reduce risk of sores
Not many caregivers can move their senior every hour or two, especially during the night. That’s why it’s helpful to add a special cushion to their seat or bed for added relief. Regular cushions usually can’t relieve enough pressure, so it’s good to invest in something specially designed to prevent pressure sores.
Some of these cushions are pricey because they use fancy technology to relieve pressure. Depending on how likely your senior is to get sores and how much time they spend without moving, it could really be worth the money. Serious wounds and infections aren’t cheap either!
If you’re not sure if a special cushion would be good for your older adult, check with their doctor or physical therapist to get an expert opinion.
Cushion options for sitting or lying down
- $24 Drive Medical deluxe gel wheelchair cushion (originally $75)
- $46 Wondergel Original Gel seat cushion (originally $55)
- Starts at $79 Mattress pad
- $15 Foam & gel seat cushion (originally $20)
- $40 Cushina memory foam cushion (originally $90)
- Starts at $88 3 inch visco-elastic memory foam mattress pad
- Starts at $149 2 inch mattress topper
- $23 Drive Medical air mattress overlay (originally $59)
- Browse Roho chair cushions and bed pads at Amazon
- All Roho chair cushions and bed pads
Alternating air pressure
- $46 Drive Medical Med Aire alternating pressure pump and pad system (originally $172)
- $77 Alternating pressure mattress pad (originally $190)
- $640 Medline alternating pressure mattress (originally $1999)
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
Image: freez frame films
This article wasn’t sponsored, but does contain affiliate links. We never link to products or services for the sole purpose of making a commission. Recommendations are based on our honest opinions. For more information, see How We Make Money.