Date published: 2022-6-01
Celebrate Father’s Day with fun senior-friendly activities
Spending quality time with the important man (or men) in your life is a thoughtful way to celebrate Father’s Day and let him know how much you care.
To help you plan something he’ll enjoy, we rounded up 16 entertaining Father’s Day activities for seniors that will suit a wide range of interests and abilities.
Important: Covid-19 is still actively circulating within our communities and older adults are more likely to develop severe illness if infected. Please take safety precautions and modify activities as needed to reduce the risk of exposure, like wearing high quality masks indoors and dining outdoors.
9 activities for seniors who enjoy going out
These 9 activities are great for older adults who like to get out of the house. They can be done together with family and friends or enjoyed one-on-one for some quality time.
- Enjoy a game of mini golf (or regular golf).
- Play some fun outdoor games like cornhole, horseshoes, lawn bowling, bocce ball, or lawn darts in the backyard.
- Share a relaxed meal at their favorite restaurant (consider dining outdoors or getting takeout when Covid-19 cases are rising) or have a picnic or BBQ at a local park.
- Take a walk and enjoy nature – in a local park, on an easy hiking trail, or through the neighborhood.
- Take a sports fan to watch a live game – whether it’s a local or national team, it’s sure to be a good time.
- Visit a local museum, photography exhibit, or well-known sightseeing spot to enjoy the arts or take in some scenery.
- Attend a local car show – classic cars, muscle cars, or whatever revs their engine!
- Treat him to a relaxing massage or an old-fashioned professional shave and haircut.
- Stroll through a shopping center. They’re pleasant spaces where you can chat, people watch, and do a little shopping. Plus, there are plenty of bathrooms, seating areas, and food and drink options.
7 activities for seniors who enjoy staying in
It’s not always easy for older adults to leave the house. For those who prefer to stay in, these 7 fun activities can be enjoyed together in a group or one-on-one.
- Watch their favorite sports on TV with plenty of tasty snacks.
- Get family or friends together for a card game – it can be just as fun whether it’s poker or go fish. And if they enjoy betting, use pennies or play money to keep things lighthearted and fun.
- Invite family and friends for a relaxed get together – have a potluck meal or backyard BBQ. Or, keep it low key with some backyard grilling for two.
- Bring home a takeout meal from his favorite restaurant.
- Watch an old favorite movie or a new blockbuster he’s sure to enjoy.
- Do a puzzle or play a classic board game together.
- Read aloud from a book of their choice. Some may even enjoy taking a turn at reading.
Recommended for you:
- 50+ Father’s Day Gifts for Seniors: Things He’ll Actually Use
- 50+ Best Gifts for Seniors: Things You’ve Never Thought Of
- 38 Great Gifts for Senior Men
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
This article wasn’t sponsored, but does contain some affiliate links. We never link to products or services for the sole purpose of making a commission. Recommendations are based on our honest opinions. For more information, see How We Make Money.