Senior-friendly fun for celebrating Father’s Day
Sharing a wonderful meal, enjoying a fun activity, or giving a thoughtful gift are wonderful ways to show how much you care about the important men in your life.
Get ready for a meaningful Father’s Day celebration with our roundup of 18 senior-friendly activity and gift ideas to help you plan a great day together.
6 activities for dads who like going out
In addition to celebrating Father’s Day with a meal at a favorite restaurant, many older adults enjoy activities like golfing, fishing, or bowling.
There are also plenty of fun, low-key activities like mini golf, cornhole, horseshoes, bird watching, or lawn bowling. For sports fans, another great option is to enjoy a live game together.
- Take a walk through nature – in the park, on an easy hiking trail, or through the neighborhood.
- Visit a local museum, photography exhibit, or well-known sightseeing spot.
- Attend a local car show – classic cars, muscle cars, or whatever revs their engine!
- Go to a history-themed event. Some people might be interested in something like these Civil War exhibits or reenactments.
- Treat him to a relaxing massage or an old-fashioned professional shave and haircut.
- Stroll through an indoor shopping center. It’s a pleasant, air-conditioned place to chat, people watch, and do a little shopping. Plus, there are plenty of bathrooms, seating areas, and food and drink options.
6 activities for dads who enjoy staying in
It’s not always easy for older adults to leave the house. For those who prefer to stay in, there are a number of fun activities you can enjoy together.
- Watch their favorite sports on TV with plenty of tasty snacks.
- Get family or friends together for a card game. If they enjoy betting, use pennies or play money to keep things lighthearted and fun.
- Invite family and friends for a relaxed get together. Have a potluck meal or backyard BBQ!
- Bring home a takeout meal from his favorite restaurant.
- Watch an old favorite movie or a new blockbuster he’s sure to enjoy.
- Play cards or a board game together.
6 thoughtful, senior-friendly Father’s Day gift ideas
It’s always nice to receive a thoughtful gift. Here are some your older adult is sure to love.
- A few novels or audiobooks by his favorite author or on a favorite topic
- A new deck of large-print playing cards
- History-themed gifts: books, movies or documentaries
- Music! Check out our picks for every age group from 65 to 90+
- A comfy pair of non-slip house slippers
- Try these delicious food or thoughtful photo gift ideas
Recommended for you:
- The Big List of Gift Ideas for Seniors
- 10 Fun Things to Do with Someone in a Nursing Home or Assisted Living
- 5 Festive Spring Activities for Seniors
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
Image: Kansas City Home Care
This article wasn’t sponsored, but does contain some affiliate links. We never link to products or services for the sole purpose of making a commission. Recommendations are based on our honest opinions. For more information, see How We Make Money.