Journaling is a fast track to stress reduction
Caring for an older adult is stressful and can easily wear you down. To help you keep going, stay positive, and protect your health, it’s essential to have plenty of good coping techniques at your fingertips.
A quick, inexpensive, and effective way to reduce caregiver stress and improve health is to write in a journal.
Writing down your thoughts and feelings on a regular basis has been proven to have a long list of mental and physical benefits. These include reduced stress and depression, improved ability to withstand stress, infection, and disease, and improved sleep.
To help you cope with caregiving, we found 30 fantastic journal prompts at SimplyStepping. We explain how to use them and share our 10 favorite prompts for caregivers.
How journal prompts help caregivers
Sometimes it’s challenging to think of what to write about or it feels intimidating to get started. When that happens, journal prompts are a great solution.
They’re short questions that focus your thoughts. The questions help you practice healthy, positive ways of thinking and jump start the process of writing, which releases stress.
SimplyStepping’s 30 journal prompts are excellent ways to add some self-care into each day. You could use them as a 30-day challenge or just choose a question to answer anytime you’d like a quick way to get started.
10 wonderful journal prompts for caregivers
All 30 prompts are great and we recommend trying them all. We’ve also chosen the 10 that we think caregivers would benefit from most.
- What’s going well in my life right now is…
- Describe a happy memory. What did you see, smell, hear, feel?
- List 10 things that make you smile.
- Today I will enjoy nature or creativity by…
- What are 2 negative thoughts you don’t want anymore? What can you do to let go?
- The little things that I can enjoy today are…
- I’m thankful for my ability to…
- I am treating myself to __________ today!
- Today I can handle __________ and that’s just enough for me!
- Today I will vent my feelings about __(what)__ to __(who)__. This is my release.
Recommended for you:
- 6 Benefits of Journaling for Caregivers
- 5 Ways to Use a Journal to Reduce Caregiver Stress
- 40 Ways to Reduce Caregiver Stress Through Gratitude
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
Image: Courageous Parents Network
This article wasn’t sponsored and doesn’t contain affiliate links. For more information, see How We Make Money.