Financial Help for Seniors: 2,500+ Federal, State, & Private Benefits Programs

financial help for seniors

Thousands of programs provide financial benefits for seniors

Senior care is expensive. Fortunately, there are over 2,500 federal, state, and private benefits programs that provide financial help for seniors.

They cover over a dozen categories including medication, health care, income assistance, food, housing, and transportation.

To quickly find programs for your older adult, we recommend a free service from the National Council on Aging called BenefitsCheckUp.

This trustworthy, easy-to-use online tool simplifies the process and saves time.

We explain why BenefitsCheckUp is safe to use and how to use it to find benefits programs to help your older adult with essential expenses.




A free service from the National Council on Aging

BenefitsCheckUp is safe to use because it’s a free service from the National Council on Aging (NCOA), a leading nonprofit service and advocacy organization.

Since 1950, the NCOA has been working to improve the lives of Americans aged 60+, especially those who are struggling.

They provide community programs and services, online help, and advocacy.

NCOA also builds public awareness, influences federal legislation, and creates national programs to make life better for older adults.


How to use BenefitsCheckUp

Step 1
Enter your older adult’s zip code and answer some basic questions to get an initial report of the financial help for seniors that’s available in their area.

After answering those basic questions, you’ll have the option to sign up and get the results emailed to you. This is completely optional. If you say “No, thanks” you’ll still be able to view the initial report.

financial help for seniorsAn initial report of available benefits programs

Step 2
Browse the initial list to get basic information about the available programs. 

To find out if your older adult will be eligible for specific programs, click “Complete Your Benefit Report” to answer additional questions.

The result will be a personalized report and detailed info on how to apply for each program.


Next Step  Find benefits programs that provide financial help for your older adult


Recommended for you:


By DailyCaring Editorial Team
Image: Sell Mom’s House


This article wasn’t sponsored and doesn’t contain affiliate links. For more information, see How We Make Money.


  • Reply March 2, 2021

    zona f Daniels

    I need my house repair and work on very bad it my parent house i need help

  • Reply February 8, 2021

    Ms. Bryant

    I was wondering what places I go gravitate to, to receive help toward internet fees or a fee placed around internet mail boxes? Thank you

    • Reply February 8, 2021


      This article might be helpful in finding low cost internet service – 8 Sources of Low Cost Internet for Seniors

    • Reply March 22, 2021

      anita hall

      if you get food stamps you can call AT&T and tell them that you want internet for 10.00 a month. i just got the service from them like the beginning of the month, i just received my bill and it literally is ONLY 10.00 a month.. works fine for my laptop and 2 cell phones. just letting you know how i got it… have a great day..

      • Reply March 22, 2021

        anita hall

        BTW, the comment above my service is in pensacola florida.. i failed to tell you that. sorry..

      • Reply March 22, 2021


        Thanks for sharing your experience and tips!

  • Reply December 28, 2020

    Sharon Brown

    My Uncle who lives in another state in living in a house thats falling apart. My heart is broken because he used all his savings and social security but still does not have enough to finish his house. Where can I find him assistance to pay the contractor to finish his house. Any information would be appreciated.

  • Reply November 21, 2020


    I am a 63 year old female, on Medicaid and food stamps. Most of my teeth fell out and had some pulled. I would like to get dentures but don’t have the money for them. The SSI I receive is just enough to pay my rent, so don’t have any money to pay for them. Is there any help to get dentures for me?

  • Reply August 4, 2020

    Angela Griffin

    I have a 70 year old uncle who has prostate cancer and is blind.
    He can not live by himself and needs 24 hour personal and home care. He needs someone to drive and accompany him to doctor visits, cook, clean and assist with daily activities.
    Several attendences from government funded agency were sent, but they would take advantage of his situation. Some would half do the work, ask for money or take money .
    I’m on SSDI and my uncle is on SSI w/Medicare and Medicaid.
    Could I be a be his care giver and received payment.
    Would it affect my SSDI?

  • Reply July 11, 2020

    Alicia J

    Does anyone have any advice or information on how to make decisions for my grandmother who has dementia? My aunt who is has the power of attorney to make decisions for her and handle her care and her financials is not doing well and incapacitated. I don’t know right now if she has made contingencies in the case something like this happened. She may have left information on how to pay bills and things but my sister and I will need a way to make decisions for my grandmother and more, especially while my aunt can not handle anything.

  • Reply June 24, 2020

    Robert Beritiech

    I am seeking assistance to repair my home it is a mobile home my wife and myself are disabled I am 100% disabled and she is in a wheelchair for five years we are in need of food and help with utilities and help with repairing our interior roof if there’s anyone that can point us in the right direction Please let us know.

    • Reply June 25, 2020


      We’re so sorry, this is a tough situation to be in.

      There are many organizations that offer help with home repairs for those who qualify for their programs.

      We suggest 7 helpful organizations in this article — 7 Sources of Home Repair Assistance for Seniors Hopefully you will find one in your area that can help.

      Your local Area Agency on Aging may also be able to connect you to organizations that can help. More info here — Area Agency on Aging: Resources for Seniors

      You may also want to check to see if you’re eligible for other benefits programs that can help with expenses using the resource linked on this page.

  • Reply March 25, 2020

    Sherry Decker

    I’m taking care of my mother in law and her son, and was wondering if I could get pay for taken care of them and running there arones for them and taking them where they need to go ? Please let me know what I can do, thank you.

  • Reply August 6, 2019

    karen combs

    How disappointing. Started completing the questionnaire — tried listing medications and all came to a stand still.

    • Reply August 6, 2019

      I’m sorry you had a negative experience at the NCOA website. Before we recommended the tool, we tried it several times and was able to complete the entire process with no issues.

      Perhaps there was a technical glitch or a temporary internet connection issue that caused the problem. If you decide to try it again, hopefully it will work well.

    • Reply November 15, 2019

      Cindy Reeson

      I’m looking for free government help to homeowners that will help with weatherrization
      Ion and maybe my septic system.

  • Reply June 2, 2019

    Julie Ann Ness

    I was a non paid live in caregiver/room & board, for an 83 yr old lady with dementia, for over a year. In that time, she went from being able to walk, shower, and toiletries, to not walking at all, losing time in the shower, and being totally incontinent. She needs 24 hour care. Her son is very abusive to her, verbally and physically. I did the best I could for her, but she just kept getting worse. I told her son repeatedly that she should be in a home, so that she could get the care she deserved, including medical appointments. This is her home that her retirement pays for, which is good because the son has her debit/credit cards. I have called the elder abuse hotline 4 times now, to no avail.
    He is the only person she ever sees, except when I can sneak to visit her. She has 3 other sons, but only one seems to care. What can I do to get her the help she needs, and to get her away from the abuse?

    • Reply June 8, 2019


      It’s wonderful that you’re trying to help your former client. It’s a tough situation since you’re not a relative and her family most likely has Power of Attorney to make decisions on her behalf.

      You may want to try contacting your local Area Agency on Aging to see if they have contacts within the Adult Protective Services department in your area.

      More info on how to find them — Local Community Resources for Seniors and Caregivers: Area Agency on Aging

  • Reply January 21, 2019

    Shawna A Sweitzer

    Hello we have my mom at senior life so she can stay at home and we aren’t happy with this facility I need help to try and find her a new facility can you help

  • Reply November 12, 2018

    Terry W. Crim


  • Reply September 24, 2016



    • Reply September 24, 2016


      If you’d like to provide care for others, you might want to speak with someone at a local home care agency to see what the requirements are for a caregiving job. If you’re asking about getting paid to care for a family member, there are government programs that will pay you to care for your older adult. In some states, the program is called In Home Supportive Services (IHSS). Check with your local Area Agency on Aging to find out more about the program in your area. Here’s more info on the Area Agency on Aging —

Leave a Reply