Celebrate Mother’s Day with quality time together
Spending quality time with the important woman (or women) in your life is a wonderful and thoughtful way to celebrate Mother’s Day.
To help you plan something special, we rounded up 15 fun Mother’s Day activities for seniors.
7 activities for seniors who like to go out
These 7 activities are perfect for older adults who enjoy getting out of the house. They can be done together with family and friends or one-on-one for quality time together.
- Share a relaxed meal at their favorite restaurant. It doesn’t have to be a fancy place, just somewhere they really enjoy.
- Visit a nearby park to enjoy a picnic or a leisurely stroll.
- Stroll through a shopping mall. Outdoor malls are fantastic in good weather. Indoor malls are temperature controlled and have ample seating for taking breaks, plenty of snacks and drinks, and lots of bathrooms. Plus, it’s fun to window shop and people watch.
- Visit a botanical garden to see some beautiful flowers. If the weather is nice, you could also bring a picnic lunch.
- Art lovers may enjoy visiting a nearby museum. A good conversation starter is to ask them open ended questions about the pieces they like best.
- For someone who is really excited about a hobby (like art, gardening, music), do the activity with them or join in a class they take.
- Take a sports fan to watch a live game – whether it’s a local or national team, it’s sure to be a good time.
8 activities for seniors who like to stay in
These 8 activities are perfect for older adults who enjoy staying home. Many are great for a group of family and friends and some are just as fun one-on-one.
- Cook their favorite meal or get takeout from their favorite restaurant. Arrange the food on nice plates and decorate the table. You might even want to go all out with candles, flowers, and fancy china.
- Throw a casual potluck party where everyone brings a dish and spends time relaxing, chatting, and eating together.
- Bake cookies or cook a favorite dish together. Depending on their abilities and interests, they could work side-by-side with you, prep a few simple ingredients, or observe and be your taste tester.
- Enjoy a sparkling non-alcoholic “cocktail” as way to fancy-up afternoon snack time. Add sparkling juice or bubbly water to lemonade, juice, or iced tea and put it in a pretty cup.
- Play their favorite music and have a sing-a-long or just sit and enjoy the tunes together.
- Read aloud from a book of their choice. Some may even enjoy taking a turn at reading!
- Do a puzzle or play cards or a board game together.
- Relax together while watching a favorite movie or TV show.
Recommended for you:
- Dozens of Thoughtful Mother’s Day Gifts She’ll Love
- 10 Fun Things to Do with Someone in a Nursing Home or Assisted Living
- Get Dozens of Fantastic Activity Ideas for Seniors at this Free Website
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
Image: Heaven-on-Earth Network