Errands take up too much time
For busy family caregivers, errands are a huge time suck. Have you noticed how much time you spend going to different stores to pick up important supplies like adult diapers, Ensure, disposable gloves, or moist wipes?
Automate delivery of caregiving staples
Did you know that many major retailers offer “subscribe and save” programs where you can get automatic shipments of the supplies you use most? There’s no obligation to continue and you’ll usually get a discount too. Taking these errands off your To Do list frees up a lot of time, saves money, and saves gas!
Amazon, CVS, and Walgreens
These 3 big retailers offer good subscribe and save programs.
- CVS.com Ship & Save – 20% off orders + free shipping
- Amazon.com Subscribe & Save – up to 15% on entire orders
- Walgreens.com Auto-Reorder & Save – 10% off + free shipping starting on second delivery
Real-life example: adult diapers
Older adults who use disposable underwear typically use one or more each day and it’s pretty much a disaster if you run out. A subscribe and save program is perfect for making sure they’re always on hand.
Here’s how it works
- Estimate how many diapers your older adult usually uses in 1 month.
- Add enough diapers for another week or so for “just in case” extras.
- Choose one of the websites listed above and find the adult diaper brand you usually use.
- Order a months’ supply (or more) and choose the subscribe and save program option instead of regular one-time shipping.
- Choose the automatic shipping frequency – once a month, every two months, etc.
- Your order will be billed to your credit card only when the items are shipped.
- Before the next scheduled automatic shipment is sent, the store will send you an email to confirm that you still want those items. You can cancel the future order if you change your mind and don’t want the subscription anymore.
Keep adding to your list
As you run errands, keep a list of the caregiving items you buy frequently. Consider adding them to your subscribe and save program so you won’t have to run all over town and spend so much time in line. Even though these programs don’t offer every single caregiving item you need, it will still cut down on the amount of stuff you need to buy and haul back to your older adult’s house.
By DailyCaring Editorial Staff