Note: Calm.com recently updated their website. The instructions and screenshots shown below will be updated soon.
Caregivers need a break
We know how busy family caregivers are, but we also know how important it is to learn how to deal with stress. One way is to take short breaks.
Regularly taking breaks improves your health by decreasing stress and reducing the physical damage caused by chronic stress.
Free website – calm.com
We love the calm.com website for quick relaxation breaks. The site only does one thing – help you relax. Choose from many nature scenes with calming sounds and set a timer for 2, 5, 10, 15, or 20 minutes of quiet bliss.
When we’re feeling really stressed, the soothing voice in the guided meditations makes it much easier to let go of racing thoughts.
How to use the calm.com website
1. The first thing you’ll see is a peaceful nature scene and a soothing soundtrack. Put your mouse anywhere on the page to bring up the vertical menu bar on the left side and a smaller horizontal menu bar in the lower right corner.
2. The horizontal menu bar in the lower right corner controls the nature scenes and relaxation soundtrack. In this picture, we’ve numbered the controls to let you know what each one does.
- Use the left and right arrows to scroll through the different nature scenes and soundtracks until you find the one you like best.
- This control lets you set the chosen soundtrack on repeat.
- This allows you to select from mute (no soundtrack) or soundtrack + nature scene. It also scrolls through the scene options.
- This controls the volume and can quickly mute the sound.
- This puts the website in fullscreen mode. On a PC, to get out of fullscreen mode, press the ESC key on your keyboard.
3. Put your mouse over the alarm clock icon on the vertical menu to bring up the timer. Click the length of time you want and the timer will let you know when the time is up. Now you can relax and let go of your worries for a few minutes. If you need to pause or stop before the time is up, use the controls that will appear in the lower right corner.
4. This is our favorite part of the website. Put your mouse over the seated figure in the vertical menu. Choose the length of time you’d like. The soothing voice will help you stop the stressful thoughts and help you focus on relaxation. If you need to pause or stop before the time is up, use the controls that will appear in the lower right corner.
By DailyCaring Editorial Staff