TV series about aging and caregiving you can relate to
Caring for an older adult can be an isolating experience. But knowing that a larger caregiving community exists can help you feel less alone.
A TV series on YouTube called Ruth & Erica is a realistic story about the struggles, fears, and sacrifices that family caregivers often face. Finally, a show about our real lives!
A daughter struggles with common caregiver challenges
We can relate to Erica’s frustration as she deals with her dad’s worsening dementia, her mom’s increasing frailty, and their resistance to Erica’s suggestions to move to a retirement community where they could be safer and better cared for.
Ruth & Erica is free to watch
The family drama unfolds over 13 online episodes – each is about 8 minutes long. The shows are only available on YouTube, but they’re free to watch without signing up for an account.
Talented acting brings complex characters to life
- Golden Globe winner for The Affair
- Plays Erica, the daughter of two aging parents
- She’s honest and willing to say out loud what many caregivers are truly feeling
Philip Baker Hall
- From Magnolia
- Plays Harry Rappaport, Erica’s father, who is slipping into dementia
- From Twister and True Blood
- Plays Erica’s mother Ruth, who is trying to protect her and Harry’s independent lifestyle
This is a well-done series with great acting talent. All family caregivers can relate to the story and will benefit from the “I’m not the only one!” feeling this show creates.
Next Step Watch Episode 1 of Ruth & Erica (8 min)
By DailyCaring Editorial Staff