Hands-on review of the GeriJoy virtual pet and care companion
We tried the GeriJoy Companion so we could share our real-life experience and opinions with you. If you’re considering a monitoring or companion service for your older adult, this 5 part hands-on review lets you know what to expect.
Get a product overview and review summary in The GeriJoy Companion (Part 1). See it in action in May’s Experience (Part 3). See how families use it in the Family Experience (Part 4). Find out who we’d recommend it to and learn about future improvements in Our Final Verdict (Part 5).
What you’ll need
- Wireless Internet access
- Flat surface for the stand
- Power outlet near where you plan to put the tablet
- PayPal account for the monthly subscription charge. You can still pay with a credit or debit card, but you’ll select that option via your PayPal account.
- [Optional] Extension cord – the included power cord is pretty short
- To start your monthly subscription to the GeriJoy Companion, go to this page and click the Subscribe button at the bottom.
- Sign in to your PayPal account to set up the monthly GeriJoy subscription and choose your payment method.
- For the risk-free trial, if you return the GeriJoy equipment within 30 days, you can get a full refund of your first month’s payment and can cancel the monthly subscription.
- Before your GeriJoy Companion can be shipped, you must complete the Subscription Setup form. You’ll get a link to the form in your Order Confirmation email.
- You can provide the information on the phone or by filling out the Subscription Setup form online. We did ours online. It’s a little long, but this is where you can customize the experience for your older adult.
- This is also where you choose the type of pet you want – Buddy the Dog, Mimi the Cat, or Spike the Dog.
- Tell GeriJoy more about your older adult. GeriJoy Helpers use the information you provide to personalize conversations with your older adult based on their likes and dislikes.
Shipping is quick
The GeriJoy Companion shipped soon after we completed our Subscription Setup. It arrived in a small USPS Priority 2-day package. Everything was well packed and in excellent condition.
What’s in the box
Back of Android tablet has basic instructions & GeriJoy’s phone number
Tip #1: Follow the Quick Start guide instructions in order to setup the wireless Internet connection, get the GeriJoy Companion started, and make sure to use the Expanded Desktop mode so your older adult won’t accidentally exit out of the program.
Tip #2: If you have any trouble, call 1-855-GERIJOY and a representative will help you. The number is on the back of the tablet.
Tip #3: Wake up the virtual pet and chat a little bit. If you don’t think your older adult will like the voice, ask that it be changed to a different pitch (higher or lower) or that they speak more slowly or quickly. It’s best to do this away from your older adult so they don’t get confused by all the different sounding voices.
Tip #4: The stand has a flexible vertical arm that allows you to tilt the tablet at different angles. Ask the GeriJoy Helper if they can see your older adult or the room. If not, try to adjust the tablet to give the Helper a better view. That way, the Helper can help you keep an eye on things.
Tip #5: The tablet can be positioned with the cord at the top or bottom. If you’d like the cord on the bottom, put a book under the stand if the plug gets in the way.
Tablet with cord at the top
Tablet with cord at the bottom and the stand on top of a book
Choose a good location
Place the tablet where it will be convenient for your older adult and hopefully give a good view of the room where your older adult spends most of their time. Make sure to tape down, staple in place, or hide any exposed cords so nobody will trip over them.
Introduce your older adult to their new pet
Now you’re ready to start using the GeriJoy Companion. Introduce your older adult to their new pet!
Get a product overview and review summary in The GeriJoy Companion (Part 1). See it in action in May’s Experience (Part 3). See how families use it and learn about future improvements in the Family Experience (Part 4). Find out who we’d recommend this to and learn about future improvements in Our Final Verdict (Part 5).
By DailyCaring Editorial Staff
Disclaimer: The product was loaned to us for the duration of this review. DailyCaring was not compensated and all opinions are based on our honest experiences. This is how we make money.