Celebrate Mother’s Day by doing something together
Spending quality time with the important woman (or women!) in your life is a fantastic way to celebrate Mother’s Day.
To help you plan something special, we rounded up 15 fun Mother’s Day activities for seniors.
7 activities for seniors who like to go out
These 7 activities are perfect for older adults who enjoy getting out of the house. They can be done together with lots of family and friends or one-on-one for quality time together.
- Share a nice meal at their favorite restaurant. It doesn’t have to be fancy, just a place they really enjoy.
- Visit a botanical garden to see the beautiful flowers. You could also bring a picnic lunch!
- Take a sports fan to a game — whether it’s a local or national team, it’s sure to be a good time.
- Stroll through a nice shopping mall. Outdoor malls are fantastic in good weather. Indoor malls are temperature controlled and have seating for taking breaks, plenty of snacks and drinks, and lots of bathrooms. Plus, it’s fun to window shop!
- Art lovers may enjoy visiting a nearby museum. A good conversation starter is to ask them about the pieces they like best.
- For someone who is really excited about a hobby (like art, gardening, music), enjoy that activity with them or join in a class they take.
- Go to the park to enjoy a picnic or a walk.
8 activities for seniors who like to stay in
These 8 activities are perfect for older adults who enjoy staying home. Many are great to do with family and friends and others are better one-on-one.
- Cook their favorite meal or get takeout from their favorite restaurant. Arrange the food on nice plates and decorate the table a bit. You could even go all out with candles, flowers, and fancy china!
- Throw a casual potluck party where everyone brings a dish and spends the afternoon relaxing, chatting, and eating together.
- Bake cookies or cook a favorite dish together. Depending on their abilities and interests, they could work side-by-side with you, prep a few simple ingredients, or keep you company and be your taste tester.
- Enjoy a sparkling non-alcoholic “cocktail” as way to fancy-up afternoon snack time. Just add sparkling juice or bubbly water to lemonade, juice, or iced tea and put it in a pretty cup!
- Play their favorite music and have a sing-a-long or just sit and enjoy the tunes together.
- Read aloud from a book of their choice. You could even take turns reading.
- Play cards or a board game together.
- Relax together while watching a favorite movie or TV program.
Recommended for you:
- 7 Mother’s Day Gifts She’ll Love
- 5 Festive Spring Activities for Seniors
- Music Seniors Love: Top Songs from Every Generation
By DailyCaring Editorial Team
Image: Heaven-on-Earth Network